September 04, 2012

FUTURE REAL CONDITIONAL



FUTURE REAL CONDITIONAL 


(FIRST CONDITIONAL) 

The First Conditional is used for actions in the future that depend on other events.

Formula:

If + Simple Present , Simple Future 

Example:

If he works on Friday, we will go shopping on Saturday. 

This means the shopping will not happen if the working does not happen. Shopping is dependent on working.

Often "when" is used to show future plans. Both "if" and "when" are used in the Future Real Conditional, but the use is different from other Real Conditional forms. In the Future Real Conditional, "if" suggests that you do not know if something will happen or not. "When" suggests that something will definitely happen at some point; we are simply waiting for it to occur. Notice also that the Simple Future is not used in if-clauses or when-clauses.

When he arrives, we will eat dinner.

I will buy a car when I find a job.

Here are some more examples to help explain the First Conditional:

If I make enough money this year, I will go on vacation in December.
(I do not know how much money I will make this year. I hope it is enough to go on vacation.)

If he brings the DVD, we can watch the movie.
(We do not know if he will bring the DVD or not.)

I am going to wake up early tomorrow if I have to work.
(I do not know if I have to work yet.)

What are you going to do if you can't find your keys?

What will you do if she does not drive you home?

No comments:

Post a Comment